Thinking about signing up for a CSA but want to learn more about the idea before you commit? Read on.
For over 25 years, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) has become a popular way for consumers to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer.
Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of “shares” to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables, but other farm products may be included. Interested consumers purchase a share (aka a “membership” or a “subscription”) and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season. A full share may feed a family of 4-6 in produce for a week, where a half share may feed 2-3.
This arrangement creates several rewards for both the farmer and the consumer. In brief:
Advantages for farmers:
- Get to spend time marketing the food early in the year, before their 16 hour days in the field begin
- Receive payment early in the season, which helps with the farm’s cash flow
- Have an opportunity to get to know the people who eat the food they grow
Advantages for consumers:
- Eat ultra-fresh food, with all the flavor and vitamin benefits
- Get exposed to new vegetables and new ways of cooking
- Usually get to visit the farm throughout the season
- Find that kids typically favor food from “their” farm – even veggies they’ve never been known to eat
- Develop a relationship with the farmer who grows their food and learn more about how food is grown
In general, CSA farmers are dedicated in using the land in a manner that will not deplete its nutrients or value for generations to come. HEALTHY soil produces healthy food.
SALE price is: $395 (promotion valid until April 30)
Regular price: $435
Feeds approx. 4-6
SALE price is: $275 (promotion valid until April 30)
Regular price: $310
Feeds approx 2-3
Veggie Box season covers a 4 month period. Fresh box prepared each week for pickup from July to October.
Subscription or share investment is paid upfront.
Contact us if you’re ready to sign up or if you would like further details.
If you are ready to pay, from your bank’s app or website you can send an Interac E-Transfer to [email protected].